A beautiful, young woman was found dead in her hotel room after traveling for a couple of hours for a night out with friends. Three men were initially questioned, but it wasn’t long before investigators ruled the tragic death an “accident,” saying it was the result of a fatal bathroom mistake.
Chloe Haynes, a beautiful 21-year-old woman, was found dead in her room at the Adelphi Hotel after she had traveled to Liverpool from Hafan y Mor Haven Holiday Park in Pwllheli, North Wales, where she worked, for a night out with friends. After becoming quite inebriated, Chloe went to the hotel room that she was sharing with a colleague to sleep it off. Sadly, her friend would return in the early morning hours to find a horrific sight.
“Chloe left Pwllheli around 7:40 pm and they went to the Adelphi, there was some sort of engagement party or something. By midnight, she had been drinking shots and so on and she was a bit drunk, so her friend has taken her back to the hotel to sleep it off, and then he’s gone back out,” Chloe’s mom, 49-year-old Nicola Williams, explained. While alone in her room at the Britannia-run hotel, tragedy struck, and when Chloe’s friend returned in the morning, he was confronted with a horrific scene.
Chloe Haynes, who was described as “kind and caring” and a “cherished daughter, sister, granddaughter, and friend,” was laying lifeless under a heavy piece of furniture. Chloe’s friend quickly raised the alarm, shouting for help. Two men from other rooms came and helped lift the wardrobe off Chloe, but it was too late to save her life. The young woman, who had a twin brother and three other siblings, had been crushed to death by the wardrobe.
Chloe’s friend and the other two men who helped lift the wardrobe and start CPR were initially questioned over Chloe’s death by police. They were later released with no further action after the circumstances surrounding her death became clear and the Merseyside Police confirmed Chloe’s untimely passing was “accidental,” the Liverpool Echo reported. It would seem that Chloe’s death was the result of a fatal mistake that was made when the intoxicated woman became confused while possibly trying to find the bathroom.
“It seems she has got up out of the bed confused, not knowing where she is, and she’s opened the door of the wardrobe, maybe thinking it is the toilet or the door to go back out of the room,” her grieving mother recalled. “It was a big, old, heavy wardrobe, and it’s fallen on her and crushed her windpipe,” Nicola added, explaining that she believes her daughter tried to open the door of the heavy piece of furniture in the early morning hours, possibly mistaking it for the bathroom or the exit.
“She loved animals, she had a little dog called Archie she was obsessed with. There are so many photos of them together,” Nicola said, speaking about her loss. “My little nickname for her was Birdy. She was so petite and little, and when she ate she was like a little bird. She was quiet, she was somebody who didn’t speak unless it needed saying,” the grief-stricken mother continued. “But in the last 12 months, she was coming out of her shell, she was gaining her confidence and she had a wide circle of friends.”
Nicola explained that Chloe had struggled with her self-confidence and didn’t realize just how beautiful she was. “She was kind and caring and she seemed to connect with gay men, and that was how she met the friend she went to Liverpool with,” Nicola continued. “She was beautiful, but she had struggled with confidence about herself so she didn’t really know how beautiful she was and that made her beautiful on the inside as well. She was very kind.”
According to Nicola, her daughter was “living her best life” and enjoyed her job waitressing in the holiday park, which also provided her accommodation as well. Chloe also had plans for her future. “She was planning to do her driving lessons and she had saved up a little bit of money for that, and she wanted to go abroad on holiday with her friends. She was just doing all the things that any 21-year-old would do,” her mom said.
Chloe Haynes was laid to rest at Pentrebychan Crematorium, on the outskirts of Wrexham with a notice published by Roberts Bros Funeral Directors saying that the “cherished daughter, sister, granddaughter and friend” is “much loved and will always be remembered.” Hopefully, she will be remembered and her untimely death can serve a purpose — providing a warning for others.
Although much of the Western world seems to believe that drinking is just a form of innocent fun, let Chloe Hayne’s story remind us all that terrible things can and do happen when people become so inebriated that they can barely function. In those moments, they shouldn’t be left alone. Had Chloe’s friend stayed with her, rather than returning to the party, this young woman might be alive today. Drunk driving isn’t the only danger of excessive alcohol consumption. Innocent lives can be lost in a plethora of other ways.