Your sister can be your best friend or your worst enemy. One beautiful young girl found this out firsthand after she woke up and realized that something was very wrong with her face. That’s when her sister decided to share some rather embarrassing photos.
Emily Petrozza of Newington, Connecticut, was in for a rude surprise when she got a horrific case of poison ivy on her face. It wasn’t just the rash that would prove to be a problem. The 21-year-old young woman’s condition would be made worse by the worldwide humiliation her 17-year-old sister Lauren was about to make her endure.
When Lauren saw Emily’s swollen eyes, she just couldn’t help herself. Apparently, Lauren had nothing better to do than pick on her poor sister. So, she took to social media to share Emily’s misfortune. Neither could have anticipated what would happen next. First, have another look at Emily without the poison ivy taking over her face.
Sisters will be sisters, so Lauren eagerly shared the images of Emily’s unsightly — no pun intended — condition. There’s no doubt she was hoping to have people laugh at Emily’s unfortunate mishap, but she got more of a response than she could have ever imaged.
The photos of Emily’s condition began to go viral after Lauren posted them on Twitter. When you see the images of the allergic reaction Emily suffered, it’s easy to understand why people across the internet shared the photos far and wide. First, they are shocking. Secondly, they burn a lesson into your brain forever. Getting poison on your face is horrible, and Emily is all the proof that we need.
Although Emily was smiling and laughing with her sister and friends when the photos were taken, it was definitely not a fun experience. “This is MISERABLE,” she tweeted about an hour after the picture was posted. Little did she know, she was about to become internet famous to add to her discomfort. Within a few short days, the initial photos had been retweeted tens of thousands of times.
“40K people are laughing at my sister,” Lauren posted the following morning, according to AOL. But, that’s not all. Additional news outlets were all reporting on her story too. “Calls and articles from BuzzFeed, Yahoo News, NBC, all bc my sisters an idiot,” Lauren tweeted with a laughing until you cry emoji. Luckily, her sister took it like a trooper, finding humor in her painful situation.
“I want people to know I’m not mad at my sister for posting the picture in the first place. We always joke around with each other and neither of us ever expected it to turn out like this,” Emily told Fox61, adding that after taking medication for two days, she was doing much better and could “actually open” her eyes.
She thinks that she got the poison in her eyes from rubbing them either after fishing or taking care of some feral cats, which she does “almost every day” with her friend Miranda. She initially noticed the rash on her arm on Sunday. Then, she noticed “little red bumps” on her eyes before waking up that fateful Monday with her eyes swelled shut.
At that point, she desperately texted everyone she knew to find someone to take her to a walk-in medical clinic. “I didn’t recognize myself,” she recalled. “I could see a little bit, but my eyes were so swollen that it hurt to keep them open.”
Luckily, her friend Allison Hoffman drove her to a doctor. There, Allison took the now-infamous picture and sent it to Lauren via Snapchat as the Emily waited to be seen. Lauren found the photo too funny not to share. “When I got that picture, I just started dying laughing,” she said. “I just thought it was hilarious.”
According to Dr. Jeff Pettey of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, it is much more common to get poison ivy oils on your eyelid than directly in your eye. “The only way poison ivy, poison oak, or any other oil-based irritant can get inside of the eyeball is if there is an injury to the eye that creates an opening,” he told BuzzFeed News, adding that the oils may cause burning and blurred vision from excessive watering as the eye tries to flush out the irritation.
Dr. Pettey encouraged readers to see an ophthalmologist for treatment right away if they get poison ivy oils in their eye. As for Emily, now that she’s all better, she hopes the incident serves as a lesson to others. Always wash your hands after coming indoors and refrain from touching your face until you do. After seeing this, I don’t think that’s a lesson many of us will forget.